Who are the Knights of Columbus?
The Knights of Columbus is a Catholic Fraternal
Organization founded in 1882 by Father Michael McGivney
in New Haven Ct. From this start there are now over 14,000
Councils and 2 Million members. Councils have been Chartered in the
United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Guatemala, Panama, the Dominican
Republic, Philippines, Guam, Spain, Japan, Cuba, and Poland. The order has helped members and their families. Social and intellectual fellowship is promoted by members and their families through educational, charitable and religious works. The Order is dedicated to the principles of Charity, Unity, Fraternity, and Patriotism.
Who can join?
Any man who is at least 18 years of age and a practicing Catholic is welcome to join the leading organization of Catholic Laymen.
What is our Purpose?
St. Thomas Council is obligated to support our Church and Community. The many ways we have served is through fund raisers, partake in community affairs such as the 4th of July Parade, Veterans Memorial, Keep Christ in Christmas, and many other projects. In our Council we sponsor a parish Christmas Party, Easter Egg Hunt, and Family Picnic. Through the Church we support Right of Life, Seminarians, and Clergy. Along with this the Knights of Columbus in Indiana, we support Gibault School for problem children.
What has our Council Done to Support These Groups
- We support the mentally challenged with our Annual Tootsie Roll Drive. We have given thousands of dollars in the past years.
- Right of Life programs through “One Rose, One Life”.
- Vocations are a priority. At present we support our SOS (Support Our Seminarians) program by having an annual pledge to support all Seminarians as well as contributing a monthly stipend to two Seminarians.
- Gibault School for problem children by supporting a State Annual Raffle. We also have special projects that help this program such as tips from our dinners. Gibault is also supported by the State giving over hundreds of thousands of dollars in support and man power. Gibault is the State’s number one charity.
- The council raises money for these and many more. We support our church by contributing our time through volunteering for many projects. The most recent was to pay for and install a chair lift for our parishioners and all who need assistance to get into church.
- We raise funds to support these programs through our Spaghetti Dinners, Pork Chop Dinners and of course our well-known Fish Fry’s during lent. At least 50% of our profit from the dinners is donated directly to St. Bridget Church.
- We have a corporate communion on the first Sunday of each month. The masses will vary so that all may participate. Prior to mass we also lead the rosary for all to join us.
- The community projects with our parish involvement is the basketball free throw contest for all children from ages 9 to 14, Christmas poster contest from pre-school to 6th grade just to mention a few.
What does it cost to be a member?
Our annual dues are $30.00 per year. There is a one-time Installation fee of $15.00. There is also an Option to purchase Knights of Columbus Insurance for yourself and your family.
Where are we?
St. Thomas Council #1347 is located at 107 Maine St. Hobart, Indiana. Our meetings are held at St. Bridget School. We meet on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month starting at 6:30 p.m. The 1st Tuesday is a regular meeting, whereas the 3rd Tuesday is a social meeting for Brother Knights and their spouse invited to attend. The Knights of Columbus is a Family Oriented Fraternal Organization.
What do we expect from YOU?
- When possible attend regular meetings.
2. Commit some of your time and talents to support
3. Sponsor a new member.
4. Work on committees for special projects